In the fast-paced world of today, finding time for self-care can be a challenge. A daily shampoo and conditioning session may only sometimes be feasible, given busy schedules. This is where dry shampoos like Spes Dry Shampoo come in handy. Spes Dry Shampoo is a popular hair care product that helps refresh hair and add volume betwee n washes. This comprehensive review will look in-depth at Spes Dry Shampoo – its key ingredients, benefits, proper usage, suitability for different hair types, and overall pros and cons.
What is Dry Shampoo?
Before delving into the specifics of Spes Dry Shampoo, it is helpful to understand what precisely dry shampoo is. Dry shampoo is a hair care product in either spray, powder, or foam form. It is designed to clean and refresh hair without the need for water. Dry shampoos use starches like rice or cornstarch to absorb excess oil and grease from the hair and scalp. Additionally, many dry shampoos contain volumizing agents to add body and texture to limp, greasy hair. The earliest dry shampoos date back to the late 1800s and were perfumed powders. Modern dry shampoos contain more advanced formulations but serve the same essential function – cleansing hair without water.
Key Ingredients in Spes Dry Shampoo
When selecting a dry shampoo, it is essential to understand its ingredients. This will help determine if it will work effectively for your hair type. The key ingredients in Spes Dry Shampoo include:
Rice Starch: The leading oil-absorbing agent in Spes Dry Shampoo. Rice starch soaks up excess sebum on the scalp and hair strands, leaving hair feeling clean.
Alcohol: Spes Dry Shampoo contains alcohol, which helps dissolve oil and grease. It also aids in quick drying.
Silica: This mineral compound adds texture and bulk to hair, creating a volumizing effect.
Fragrance: Spes Dry Shampoo comes in scents like grapefruit, lavender, and tea tree to help mask odors and leave hair smelling fresh.
Propellant: The aerosol propellant in Spes Dry Shampoo creates a fine mist spray. Standard fuels used are isobutane, propane, and dimethyl ether.
In addition to these critical ingredients, Spes Dry Shampoo is free of parabens, sulfates, phthalates, and other harsh chemicals. It is also vegan and cruelty-free. The ingredients absorb oil, add volume, and make hair look and feel freshly washed.
Key Benefits of Using Spes Dry Shampoo
There are many reasons why Spes Dry Shampoo has become a cult favorite hair care product. The key benefits it provides include:
Oil Absorption: The starches in Spes Dry Shampoo are ultra-effective when soaking up excess oil and grease from the hair and scalp. No more greasy roots or limp locks!
Volume: Spes Dry Shampoo absorbs more than oil; it adds central volume and body to fine, thin, or flat hair. The silica provides texture, while the rice starch adds bulk and lift at the roots.
Cleansing: While it does not cleanse hair as deeply as a regular shampoo, Spes Dry Shampoo does an impressive job of temporarily cleansing. It removes dirt, oil, odor, and product buildup.
Convenience: One of the best things about Spes Dry Shampoo is its quick and convenient use. There’s no need for water or rinsing. Just a few sprays save time on busy mornings.
Extends Styles: Blowouts, updos, braids – whatever your hairstyle, Spes Dry Shampoo helps extend its lifespan by absorbing oil before it causes styles to fall flat.
Provides Grip: The texture and volume Spes Dry Shampoo offers also make styling easier. It provides the grip needed to create braids, messy buns, or sculpted updos that last longer.
Versatility: From refreshing second-day hair to adding volume or building texture, Spes Dry Shampoo is a versatile product that can be used in multiple ways.
As you can see, Spes Dry Shampoo offers many beauty benefits beyond just absorbing oil. It’s a true multitasker!
Proper Usage Tips for Spes Dry Shampoo
While Spes Dry Shampoo makes hair care quick and straightforward, there are some tips to follow for optimal results:
- Shake Well Before Use
It is important to thoroughly shake the can before spraying to help disperse the product and activate the ingredients.
- Apply to Dry Hair
Spes Dry Shampoo works best when applied to dry hair at the roots. Spraying onto damp hair will diminish its oil-absorbing effects.
- Section Hair
Sectioning clean hair into four quarters aids even product distribution for optimal oil absorption and volume.
- Hold Can 6 Inches Away
Position the can approximately 6 inches from your roots to lightly mist hair. Too close can wet hair excessively.
- Let Sit for 1-2 Minutes
Give the product a couple of minutes to work before massaging in. This allows it to absorb oil and grease.
- Massage Into Roots
Use your fingers to work the product into your roots and scalp to ensure even application.
- Brush Through
Once massaged in, use a brush or comb to distribute the dry shampoo and smooth out hair evenly.
- Use Sparingly
A little goes a long way with Spes Dry Shampoo. Use sparingly to avoid making hair stiff or crunchy feeling.
- Target Oily Areas
Focus on spraying and massaging where hair tends to get more oily, like bangs and crowns.
Following these tips will maximize how well Spes Dry Shampoo works and ensure you get the desired volumized, refreshed results.
Is Spes Dry Shampoo Suitable for Your Hair Type?
An important question is whether Spes Dry Shampoo works well for your hair type and texture. Some tips on different hair types:
Fine or Thin Hair
Spes Dry Shampoo works beautifully to volumize limp, flat hair. Just remember to apply lightly to avoid weighing fine strands down. Concentrate spraying at the roots for lift.
Thick or Coarse Hair
Those with thick hair can use a more liberal application of Spes Dry Shampoo, as thicker hair can handle more products. It also tends to need more oil absorption.
Spes Dry Shampoo can be a godsend if you have an oily scalp or greasy hair. Use it daily to soak up excess oil and keep hair fresh.
While any hair type can use Spes Dry Shampoo, those with dry hair should use it sparingly as the rice starch can dry. Focus just on oily spots only.
Spes Dry Shampoo is safe for color-treated hair. However, the propellants in aerosol cans can be drying. Opt for the non-aerosol powder format if this is a concern.
Damaged or overprocessed hair should use Spes Dry Shampoo sparingly as the alcohol can cause additional dryness. Carefully target just the oily areas of hair.
As you can see, Spes Dry Shampoo suits most hair types. However, some may benefit from the powder format or extra care when applying. Consider your own hair’s needs.
Spes Dry Shampoo for Different Hair Styles and Textures
Beyond hair type, Spes Dry Shampoo works well on all hairstyles and textures. Here are some tips for essential hairstyles:
Curly or Wavy Hair
For curly or wavy hair, apply Spes Dry Shampoo at the roots to absorb oil without disrupting your hair’s natural texture. Use fingers to distribute carefully.
Those with straight hair can use a brush to evenly disperse Spes Dry Shampoo from roots to ends to add volume and texture for a beachy, tousled look.
To refresh bangs between washes, mist Spes Dry Shampoo lightly underneath your fringe to soak up oil and grease near the forehead.
Before styling hair into an updo like a bun or French twist, use Spes Dry Shampoo at the crown to create the volume and texture needed to hold styles up.
Extend the life of a salon blowout by applying Spes Dry Shampoo at the roots when your style starts to fall flat. Revives volume.
Spray Spray Dry Shampoo onto hair before braiding to add grip and texture that helps braids stay neat and last longer.
No matter your hairstyle – straight, curly, bangs, up, braided, etc. – Spes Dry Shampoo can provide refreshment and volume.
Pros and Cons of Spes Dry Shampoo
While the pros of using Spes Dry Shampoo are plentiful, there are some potential drawbacks to note:
- Absorbs excess oil and grease from hair and scalp effectively
- Leaves hair feeling freshly clean without water or shampoo
- Adds central volume and lift at the roots
- Creates texture and grip for styling
- Convenient and ultra-quick to use
- Travel-friendly and ideal for gym bags
- Leaves hair softly scented
- Safe for color-treated hair
- Available in multiple formats like aerosol, powder, wipes
- It can leave a white residue if sprayed too heavily (message out)
- Hair can feel stiff or crunchy if overused
- Frequent use can irritate a dry or sensitive scalp
- Aerosol/propellant formats can be dried to hair
- Not a deep clean – cannot fully replace regular shampoo
- It can dull color over time if used excessively between shampoos
While no product is perfect, Spes Dry Shampoo provides significant hair-refreshing benefits with minimal drawbacks when appropriately used. Overall, the pros outweigh the cons for most users.
How Spes Dry Shampoo Compares to Other Brands
Spes is far from the only dry shampoo option available. How does it compare to some of the other top brands?
Batiste Dry Shampoo
- Spes offers better oil absorption but can have a steeper learning curve to avoid white residue
- Batiste provides easier use for beginners but has a lighter cleansing formula
- Batiste has a more extensive scent range, while Spes focuses on more lightweight essence scents
- Both are budget-friendly options that offer solid performance
Klorane Dry Shampoo
- Spes is better suited for oily hair and adding volume, while Klorane leans towards dry shampoos for color-treated hair
- Klorane has more natural, clean ingredients, while Spes relies on some more vital chemicals for oil absorption
- Spes provides longer-lasting cleansing and is more budget-friendly
- Klorane offers a gentler formula that is less likely to irritate sensitive scalps
Dove Dry Shampoo
- Dove Dry Shampoo is easier to find, while Spes is primarily available online or at beauty supply stores
- Dove offers a broader range of formats, like foam and micro-mist, while Spes sticks to aerosol and powder
- Spes provides a more volumizing effect and fuller oil absorption
- Dove’s formula may be less drying for damaged hair
Ouai Dry Shampoo
- Spes is significantly more budget-friendly, while Ouai is a luxury-priced dry shampoo
- Ouai offers a cleaner ingredient profile and unique scents
- Spes provides a heavier absorbing effect for very oily hair
- Ouai’s formula is healthier for damaged and color-treated hair
While personal preference dictates whether Spes Dry Shampoo is the best choice over other brands, it consistently provides reliable cleansing, volumizing, and styling results. The combination of proven performance plus an affordable price point makes it a top dry shampoo choice for many consumers.
How Does Spes Dry Shampoo Compare to Other Hair Care Products?
Beyond dry shampoo, how does Spes compare to other solutions for cleansing and styling hair between washes?
Traditional Shampoo and Conditioner
- Spes Dry Shampoo saves significant time compared to an entire shampooing session
- It cannot fully replace the deep cleansing and nourishment of a good shampoo and conditioner
- It causes less damage to color-treated hair than frequent shampooing
- Dry shampoo like Spes helps extend the time between complete hair washings
- Baby powder is messier and more complicated to apply than Spes Dry Shampoo spray
- The rice starch in Spes absorbs much more oil than regular powder
- The baby powder leaves a noticeable white residue, while Spes mostly blends in
- Spes provides additional volumizing and texturizing effects
- Like baby powder, loose cornstarch is tricky to distribute through hair evenly
- The convenience of the spray application of Spes makes it easier to use
- It contains additional ingredients beyond cornstarch to create fuller oil absorption
- Spes Dry Shampoo offers lingering scent and volume benefits
- Dry conditioner nourishes hair between washes but doesn’t cleanse like Spes Dry Shampoo
- Spes remove oil, sweat, dirt, and odor, while dry conditioners coat hair
- Dry conditioners like Spes are good options for dry or damaged hair
- Spes works best for cleansing oily hair and scalp between washes
Spes Dry Shampoo offers a unique combination of cleansing, volumizing, and styling benefits, making it superior to traditional shampoos for oil control and dry conditioning for damage repair between washes. It outperforms makeshift dry shampoo DIY options for ease of use and effectiveness.
Best Practices for Using Spes Dry Shampoo
To get the very most out of your Spes Dry Shampoo for refreshed, voluminous hair every time, follow these best practices:
- Know your hair – Consider oiliness, texture, thickness, and other factors so you can use Spes Dry Shampoo to address your hair’s needs best. What results do you most want to achieve?
- Start with clean hair – Applying Spes Dry Shampoo to greasy, unwashed hair diminishes its effects. Use on freshly shampooed hair.
- Use on dry hair – Spes Dry Shampoo soaks up oil and grease from dry hair. Using it on damp hair makes it less effective.
- Target the roots – Concentrate spraying and massaging the product into your hearts and scalp where oil and grease accumulate.
- Section hair – Work in sections for even product distribution. Sectioning ensures all areas are noticed.
- Shake it up – Give the can a vigorous shake before each use to mix up the product and aid performance.
- Don’t overdo it – Use a light hand with spraying. Too much Spes Dry Shampoo can lead to stiff, crunchy hair.
- Massage it in – Use your fingers to gently work the product into your scalp and roots after spraying. This distributes and blends it in for the best results.
- Brush it through – After massaging into the roots, use a brush or comb to distribute Spes Dry Shampoo through mid-lengths and ends evenly.
- Balance with shampooing – Spes Dry Shampoo is a timesaver between washes, shampoo, and condition as needed to prevent product buildup.
By keeping these tips in mind, you can become a pro at achieving gorgeous hair with Spes Dry Shampoo!
FAQs About Spes Dry Shampoo
- How often can I use Spes Dry Shampoo?
This depends on your hair type. Oily hair may benefit from daily use between shampoos. Limit to 1-2 times a week maximum for drier hair to prevent drying out your scalp.
- Does Spes Dry Shampoo damage hair?
When appropriately used, Spes Dry Shampoo does not damage hair. But, overuse can lead to dryness. Be sure to still shampoo and condition regularly for hair health.
- Does Spes Dry Shampoo lighten hair or affect dyed hair?
Spes Dry Shampoo is safe for color-treated hair when used sparingly. But the rice starch can lighten hair slightly if overused. Test first if concerned.
- Can men use Spes Dry Shampoo?
Yes! Spes Dry Shampoo works great for anyone looking to absorb oil and add volume between hair washings. It is not just for women.
What is the white residue in Spes Dry Shampoo, and how can I avoid it?
The white residue that can result from heavy spraying is dried rice starch on your hair. Massage it thoroughly into the roots and brush through the lengths to avoid this chalky look.
- Can I use Spes Dry Shampoo on wet hair?
It is best only to apply Spes Dry Shampoo to dehydrated hair for it to work effectively. Using damp hair makes it hard to distribute and reduces oil absorption.
- Is Spes Dry Shampoo safe for pregnant women?
Yes, Spes Dry Shampoo is safe to use during pregnancy. But as with any product, do a patch test before first use to check for skin sensitivities.
- Does Spes Dry Shampoo cause hair loss?
No, Spes Dry Shampoo does not cause hair loss when used as directed. The starch and alcohol ingredients work to absorb oil and add volume by coating the hair – they do not damage or cause hair to fall out. However, any dry shampoo used excessively can potentially irritate the scalp.
- Can I use Spes Dry Shampoo on extensions or wigs?
Yes, Spes Dry Shampoo works well on hair extensions and wigs. Removing oil and adding texture will refresh synthetic and human hair wigs or extensions between wears. Always spray lightly and avoid tugging or pulling on wings while brushing through.
- How long does Spes Dry Shampoo last once you spray it?
The oil-absorbing effects of Spes Dry Shampoo will usually last anywhere from 12-24 hours. However, the volumizing and texturizing benefits last only until your next shampoo. It does not permanently alter the structure of your hair. Reapply as needed.
- Should I use Spes Dry Shampoo before or after styling tools?
Applying Spes Dry Shampoo before heat styling helps protect your hair. The rice starch protects against damage from tools like curling and flat irons. If you style first, wait until the hair cools before spraying.
- Can I use Spes Dry Shampoo if I have dandruff?
Spes Dry Shampoo is not formulated to treat dandruff. Its alcohol content can irritate an already flaky, itchy scalp. Look for dry shampoos explicitly made for dandruff relief instead.
- Does Spes Dry Shampoo work on dogs?
No, Spes Dry Shampoo should only be used on human hair. The ingredients, fragrance, and alcohol can irritate a dog’s sensitive skin and respiratory tract. Never use any human grooming product on pets.
- Is Spes Dry Shampoo safe for kids?
Spes Dry Shampoo is likely too harsh for young children’s sensitive scalps. Look for specially formulated, non-aerosol dry shampoos for kids if you want to use them between baths. Supervise use on older children.
Hopefully, these additional frequently asked questions provide insight into how best to use Spes Dry Shampoo and maximize its oil absorption and volumizing benefits for your hair.
Spes Dry Shampoo has become a staple hair care product for many due to its proven ability to refresh, add volume, de-grease, and texturize hair between wash days. This versatile, cult favorite dry shampoo suits most hair types and provides noticeable cleansing and styling results when used correctly.
This comprehensive review covers everything you need about Spes Dry Shampoo, from spraying techniques to formulated ingredients. While individual results will vary based on hair type and condition, this dry shampoo’s convenience, effectiveness, and affordability make it a top choice for consumers looking to maintain fresh, voluminous hair day after day.