In the early days of the internet, the only way to access the web was through desktop computers. However, with the rise of smartphones and tablets, more and more people started accessing the internet on their mobile devices, requiring the evolution of mobile-responsive web design.
As of 2024, approximately 59.01% of website traffic is generated via people using mobile devices. Now that such a large percentage of website traffic is generated through mobile devices, optimizing your website for these users is crucial.
Responsive web design is the key to making your website responsive to different screen sizes and resolutions and providing the best customer experience. ReactJS is among the most popular open-source frameworks for building websites, mobile applications, PWAs, and desktop applications. Working with a professional ReactJS development company can help you make your website responsive on mobiles, desktops, and tablets by incorporating the best practices.
This article unveils the best practices for creating a responsive web design using ReactJS.
What is Responsive Web Design?
Responsive web design means building a website that looks and functions well on any device, whether desktop or mobile, regardless of its OS, screen size, browser, or resolution. One primary benefit of a responsive web design is enhanced user experience.
Just imagine you are trying to navigate a website on your mobile device that was designed for a desktop. In such a case, you will find the text too small to read and, thus, will have to constantly zoom in and out to access the site’s different parts. It can be frustrating and lead you to leave the site.
On the other hand, a ReactJS development company designing a website with a responsive design will automatically adjust to the size of the device a user uses. It will lead to a better overall user experience and the possibility of increased conversions.
What are the Best Practices for Creating a Responsive Web Design?
ReactJS development services company can use the following best practices to create a responsive web design:
Using Responsive Design Principles
The key to creating a responsive web design in ReactJS is to use responsive design principles. By deploying responsive design principles, you can ensure your website looks great on any device, whether a desktop, smartphone, or tablet. Here are a few responsive design principles:
- Performance: One of the most crucial aspects to remember is performance. Responsive layouts require more resources. So, you should optimize your images and code to ensure your site loads quickly.
- Navigation: Your site’s navigation should be straightforward and easy to use on all devices, ranging from small to large screens. It might involve redesigning the site’s menu to make it more mobile-friendly or deploying a responsive navigation pattern.
- Content prioritization: When designing a responsive web layout, consider the content most vital to users on each device. In addition, consider rearranging your content to prioritize the most critical information on devices with smaller screens.
- Flexible layout: Instead of creating a separate layout for each screen size, consider creating a responsive layout that can adapt to any screen size. Your web layout should be flexible for small and large screens. If you opt for a grid-based layout, choose flexible units like ems or percentages rather than using fixed-width elements like pixels. It will allow you to select a flexible web design that adapts to varied screen sizes.
- Text legibility: You must ensure that text is legible on all devices, which can be done by adjusting font and line heights for different screen sizes.
- Flexible media: It involves considering how assets, like images, videos, or other media, will look on different devices. You should use assets that can fit any screen size, small or large. Using different image sizes to ensure they look good on varied screen sizes and don’t consume too much bandwidth is advisable.
Using a CSS Framework
A CSS framework offers a quick and straightforward way to create a responsive web design. You should hire dedicated ReactJS developers who are well-versed in ReactJS-compatible CSS frameworks to create a responsive design for your website or application. Such CSS frameworks include Bootstrap, Semantic UI, and Materialize.
With these CSS frameworks, you can access pre-built components and responsive layouts that you can customize to suit your website’s or application’s needs.
Using Media Queries
Media queries are a CSS feature that allows developers to specify different styles for your website for different devices using different rules. It offers pre-designed, customizable components and grid systems to make web pages more responsive while saving you all the hard work. Using media queries, you can adjust your website’s or application’s layout, font sizes, and other design elements to enhance their appearance on any device.
An experienced ReactJS development services company will know the best use of Flexbox. It is a CSS feature that allows developers to create flexible layouts for React websites. By using Flexbox, you can create layouts that are compatible with different screen sizes and orientations.
Therefore, you can quickly create responsive web designs that look great on small and large screen devices.
Using React Responsive Libraries
You can use several React Responsive libraries to make building responsive web design comfortable. These libraries, including react-device-detect, react-responsive, and react-media, allow you to apply different styles to React components.
The first step is to install react-responsive as a dependency in your web project. Once installed, you can access components, helping you detect the device type and adjust the layout accordingly. For instance, using the useMediaQuery hook from the react-responsive library can help detect if the device is a smartphone or tablet, allowing you to adjust the layout as per the detected device.
To sum up it all!
Since most internet traffic comes from mobile devices these days, it has become essential to prioritize mobile-first design. Creating a web design that is highly responsive for all devices with different screen sizes and resolutions saves you all the hard work, provides an improved user experience, and increases web traffic and conversions.
Using tools like ReactJS and React-Responsive makes it much easier to create flexible, universal layouts that adjust to the size and orientation of all devices. You should hire dedicated ReactJS developers to deploy the above-discussed best practices to create a responsive web design for your React website or application.